Wednesday, 26 April 2017

Post Production

This week we were editing the project. 

Tom, the editor, took away all the footage and made a few different rough cuts, uploading them to Vimeo each time so we could all review them and give him feedback. He experimented around with different structures and colour grades until we all decided on a cut that looked right. He also changed the aspect ratio to a more box shaped one that was standard on the box shaped TVs of the nineties, in contrast to the 16:9 that we're used to now. 

Once his final edit was complete he sent the file to me which also contained the dialogue on. I then transferred this into ProTools where I would sound design for it.

I started by adding foley that James had recorded into the necessary areas. In areas where there's music playing from a different room I would add a low pass filter which gives it that muffled sound your used to hearing when your neighbours are having a party.

For the rushing climactic effects you hear when he's looking in the mirror or when he's receiving a phone call I used sound effects such as aircraft noises and traffic and then added LPFs and lots of reverb with a rising volume level. This completely transforms it from it's original sound to the point where it's completely unrecognisable but instead becomes an effective cinematic tool for expression. For example when his telephone's ringing I wanted to express the blind panic and anxiety in his head. I used the interior sounds of a Concorde jet and added all the above effects to the point where it's completely transformed.

To reinforce the 90s time period we decided to use radio sound bites that referred to events in the 90s. I researched appropriate events on the internet and found the original radio news broadcasts. I then wrote a transcript of those original recordings and recorded myself reading it out as if I was the radio presenter. I then imported the audio files into ProTools and increased the gain in the mid-high frequency section on the equaliser. This gives it the tinny sound that's normally associated with a cheap radio.

Adding various effects to sounds such as reverb and delay

Complete sound design timeline on Pro Tools

Recording my voice on a Zoom h5 for radio snippets

No comments:

Post a Comment